As a design leader, I believe in creating a professional environment that allows everyone to do their best work. It is my job to share my vision and guide and direct my team to produce outstanding products that meet or exceed the goals of the company.
My success is measured by the positive impact my work has on people using the products I design, making the user experience seamless. As a User Experience Designer, the essential components of my work are people and technology. When both work together successfully, the results empower people using technology, resulting in greater efficiency and effectiveness and an overall successful user experience.
Our best work is achieved when we have the resources we need and are allowed to find personal solutions to the tasks at hand. Success occurs over multiple axes—time, place, method, and approach. It is important for everyone to find the way that resonates and then move forward.
As individuals and professionals, we all strive for constant growth—the opportunity to learn and create new things. Discovering new skills and methods keeps us excited and engaged. Our work is fresh and our contribution to our team continues to grow.
When the larger team or organization has a purpose that we believe in and are committed to, each of our individual roles has value. I believe that our profession directly contributes to the success and well-being of those we serve as well as to the larger social good. This manifests in greater productivity, achievement and even delight, using the tools and products that we design and create.
Strengthen our own internal design culture
We strive to become a productive, proficient and coordinated design team.
- Define a clear set of team and individual objectives—a North Star we all can follow
- Embrace transparency to empower our teams to make informed decisions
- Offer clear lines of communication at all levels of our organization, including frequent team and one-on-one communication
- Support creativity, innovation and problem-solving
Foster constant curiosity and a “quest for the best”
Increase our skillset and proficiency by providing the needed tools, training and resources
Maximize the adoption of process best practices, including design, research and agile/scrum methodologies
Encourage critical thinking—there are no wrong questions
Understand that failure is only a step towards success
Provide a clear path to individual career advancement & growth
Build deeper relationships with our communities
Our individual work feeds into the larger world that we belong to. This includes our teams, company, industry and design community.
- Build a unified/collaborative design culture within our collective teams and individual products
- Foster the exchange of ideas by intra and inter-team collaboration
- Expand interaction with our international teams, partners, and vendors
Strengthen our relationships with our non-UX stakeholders on the product teams we support
- Engage in constant outreach to the constituents that we design for and who use our products
- Outreach to our customers to bring them into the design/decision-making process
- Let the data that we collect, whether qualitative or quantitative, be the basis upon which make our design and product decisions
- Involve all our product stakeholders in the collection and analysis of that User Research data
Amplify the UX leadership reputation of our teams in the larger design community within and outside our company through constant engagement and support
Move towards a global perspective on design, realizing that our products serve an international community
Design and deliver highly usable products
The primary focus of our teams is to shape experiences that will support and delight our users.
- Amplify the role UX plays in shaping the products we work on
Our customers demand intuitive and usable experiences and it is our job to deliver
Rely upon User Research as a key component in our process
The frequency of research activities should match the cadence of our design cycles
Introduce innovations into our products—the state of interactive design and UX is ripe for change
There is an abundance of acronyms that hint at our future—including AI, ML, VR, and AR and one phrase—conversational interfaces. Let's discover the next set.
Cloud-based products convey their own set of user expectations that are much more fluid and turn-key than ever
Address areas where increased product integration and a common UX will provide a more unified experience
Move from tactical to strategic UX, or at least equally support both
Well-designed products not only offer marketing and strategic value, but equally human value